Being creative in the kitchen during the summer is hard. In the winter, soups and potatoes are staples to keep everyone full and warm. In the summer, the heat can cause cravings for light, and fresh meals. Don't know what to have? You're in luck! This week at the Old Louisville Fresh Stop Market, Chef Sunshine Flagg prepared a light and zesty dinner salad and a healthy broccoli rice casserole using the fresh spinach, broccoli, kohlrabi, and carrots. Try the recipes for yourself!
Jeweled Dinner Salad
2 handfuls chopped spinach
1/4 head romaine lettuce (cut length-wise)
2 carrots sliced into coins
1/2 beet sliced into thin rounds
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp dried or fresh dill
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Heat oven to 375F toss beet slices with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and toss with a pinch of salt and dill.
2. Heat cast iron pan and lay 1/4 head of romaine lettuce in it for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and chop lettuce.
3. Cook carrot coins in 1/4 cup of water until water evaporates. Add honey and cook for 1 more minute remove from heat a pinch of salt and stir to coat evenly.
4. Dressing: put lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper in blender and slowly add the olive oil as it blends.
5. Toss the all veggies (except the beets) together with the dressing and top with the beet chips
Broccoli Rice Casserole
2 cups small chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped kale
1 cup diced kohlrabi
2 green onions chopped fine
3 cups cooked rice
2 cups almond milk
4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Microwave broccoli and kale in a covered bowl for 2 minutes
2. Combine almond milk, kohlrabi and green onion in a pot and cook on medium until very soft about 20 minutes. Mash the kohlrabi into the almond milk and add nutritional yeast, paprika and salt and pepper. Stir everything together with the rice and bake at 350F for 20 minutes.
These are the recipes collected from the talented chefs who volunteer their time at our Fresh Stop Markets.