Crispy, Roasted Vegetable Salad by Chef Nikkia Rhodes, Chef Liaison for the Smoketown Fresh Stop Market
This salad is like a party in your mouth–with crispy kale chips, roasted beets, cauliflower, and zucchini over a bed of spinach with blueberries–you won't dread eating it! Chef Nikkia Rhodes prepared this salad that contains many layers of flavor using this week's share of veggies (and blueberries!) Try this recipe out, we hope you enjoy!
Roasted Vegetable Salad with Blueberries and Kale Chips
1 bunch spinach
1 bunch mixed greens
1 bunch kale
1 head cauliflower
3 medium beets
1/2 pint blueberries
2 medium zucchini
4 lemons - juiced and zested
Salt & Pepper
2 cups olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 t sugar or honey
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1. Wash and dry all produce. Preheat oven to 350. Remove the stems from the kale leaves, tear leaves into medium chunks. Toss your leaves into a bowl. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil, sprinkle of salt and pepper, and the zest of 2 lemons. Massage seasonings into the kale.
2. On a parchment/foil lines bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly brown. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
3. Trim cauliflower into into small florets and place on lined baking sheet. On the other half of the baking sheet, add whole beets. Season with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in the over for 20-25 minutes or until tender and cauliflower is browned.
4. Once beets are cool, peel and dice into small cubes. Preheat grill/medium sauté pan.
5. Slice zucchini lengthwise into medium spears. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Grill or sauté until tender.
6. While the vegetables are cooking, combine spinach and mixed greens, with sprinkle of salt, and blueberries in a large bowl.
7. In a small bowl, combine juice of 2 lemons, white wine, sugar (or honey/agave), salt, pepper, and 1 cup of olive oil. Whisk or shake to combine.
8. When all vegetables are cooked, toss in cauliflower florets, cubed beets, and zucchini spears with the greens. Coat with the dressing. Top the salad with the crispy kale chips and finish with a big zest of lemon.
These are the recipes collected from the talented chefs who volunteer their time at our Fresh Stop Markets.